Archangels of the Sword, Sample 4, Arcadian Knyghts, Legend of Avalon City
by JFM
by JFM
Chapter 3: The one-eyed
merchant
I feel the tremors. Hear the screaming. Scattered through it
all I see legions of an army of knyghts in red, green, black, and blue. These
knyghts look bigger than normal. They are beasts of men, with cold eyes and
tightened fists, and as I stare I hear a voice saying numbers out loud.
“It
be a rich land of a rich people. Some will go against this, and you shouldn’t
tell, but I believe that is where all tribes originally came from.”
“What
of the belief of Christ?” I tried to show knowledge of scripture, which usually
enticed Guyus to tell stories of things in the bible that, though false, had
true connotations.
“Christ
was not a white man, no matter what they tell you. They sought out the homeland
of Christianity in the crusades, with Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, but he
was closer to men you would find in northern Africa
than an Italian pope with Roman ways.”
I
didn’t always agree with Guyus, and didn’t on this occasion, but it did make me
think. So much had been born in the heart of Africa
I had to believe there was more to it than wild, warring tribes. I had heard
Christianity had even spread there.
I
thought on all this as our motley party of heroes approached my father’s ship.
It was the basic caravel: made on the cheap for the most part, but with the
best wood that could be found in Norman lands, and had firing holes on its
sides, along with high arcing masts that could grasp the wind faster than a
bird.
“What
be in Africa ?” I asked the druid, Rochelle.
“That
isn’t what your thinking.”
“Maybe,
but it’s what I’m asking.”
“No
magic I know of. The shamans are masters of illusions, the chiefs lords of war,
the woman wiser to the ways of men, and the animals have a stronger bite.”
I
wasn’t sure what to think of that; everything was moving fast, and the least I
needed was a lion hunting me or a shaman pulling something out of my chest.
“Me
lord, this Dunn man, I must tell you more.”
He told me of the one eyed
merchant, the man whom my father seemed to think would save me; for this wasn’t
about him … and it never had been. He sought to quell my wild side. To show me
the vicious world and make quibbling over grain stores in a castle more
enticing.
It
didn’t faze me: I understood what I wanted, and being chased by lions in Africa , and magic in the lands of the Yin, didn’t daunt
my goals. I would be a scrivener. And when I grew bored, which I presumed might
be often, I would design weapons for small amounts of money. Money could be
made; and that was what ruled the lands most of the time. Perhaps I could be
richer with magic, and with my father’s lands, but wealth was fleeting.
“He
lost the eye in an exploration to India with your father. From what I
heard, a queen sent them there to find a kind of tyger rare to those lands. The
people there thought your father the second coming of Alexander the Great.”
“Why
is that?”
“Know
your history,” said Rochelle, “Alexander wanted to conquer the lands of India .”
“Ah.”
“And,”
Francis continued, “Dunn had to defend your father from a vicious pack of
warriors. He lost his eye in the fight.”
“Ever
the interesting bard, aren’t you, Francis?”
“I
tell it like it be, me lord. The best I can do to protect you once you go your
own way, is tell you like it be.”
He
was right. Why didn’t Rochelle trust him? I was beginning to have my own doubts
as well, but the seeds the druid had put into my mind were already there.
Something about this Welshman be different.
The
seas were kind to us on our travels. The crew was small – a scant ten men – but
the ship held well on our travels down the coast of Afrikana .
As we traveled, I waited for Rochelle to enter my mind again, but he appeared
either sick by the sea or disturbed by something else. I wanted to question
him, but the seas put me into a sleep for a long time on the trip. I didn’t
want to dream: I was afraid I would see the green knyght and his legions, or
perhaps Satan and his archangels fighting for my soul.
We
did hit a sharp gust of water at one point – the captain said this was half way
into our travels – that broke the silence between our group. We all seemed to
awaken, save the crew whom were already vigilant.
“Why
must we skate across such a coast, where is all the rich lands of Africa ?” Said Francis.
“Have
you not forgotten, bowman? The lands be deserts along the coast. Rain has not
frequented these parts for a generation. The people stay away from the western
parts.”
I
looked at Francis expecting a response, but he only grunted and went back to
toying with his longbow. Rochelle looked at me with weary eyes, and he went
back to looking at a piece of parchment.
I
was left to my own thoughts, which was exactly what I had feared would happen
on this trip. Doing nothing wasn’t something I was talented at, and neither was
thinking.
“How
much longer,” I said, looking at the dark skinned captain.
“One
week, me lord.”
That
was the first words this captain had voiced since we set out. All he had wanted
to know was our destination. When I had told him south Afrikana, he hadn’t been
surprised. But when I mentioned the Yin empire he had grimaced. “Be an evil land of Orientals ,” he had said. “I wouldn’t
trust them to board my ship.” I had wanted to question him as he might know
things on the Yin, but he didn’t seem like the type who could hold much of a
conversation.
I
was hungry, had been since our voyage, but the small ship only had room for so
many stores. I had wanted to take horses, but going so far with them would have
been an impossible feat and likely ended a mare or stallion’s life.
I
nibbled on hard bread, and finally pulled out my notebooks, a sketchbook, and a
hard bound book on wealth by an Italian writer. Finances were something that
bored me, but I had taken a book from my teacher Guyus on just that thing. The
fact was, gold and silver ruled the world, so understanding the trade deadlines
and money management was a market in high demand.
After
an hour of reading I saw the eye of one of the sailors on the book. I handed it
to him and he smiled. “Student?” He said, his eyes examining the book.
“Scrivener.”
“Oh,
so you put the words on the page. I have heard of a thing that can copy what is
put down on the parchment in India .
They say it came from the Yin.”
“What do you mean, copy what is put down?”
“All I really know,” he answered as he looked at the
book, “Is it is being used for the Christian bible, Chinese Philosophy, and the
Torah is many lands to the east. The poor cannot afford to buy the books, so a
press was invented.” He stopped talking after that and handed me the book. I
wouldn’t have expected a sailor to be wise to the arts, but I lived in a world
full of surprises.
I watched as he went back observing the deck for
inconsistencies, which I wasn’t sure if he was doing by order or for amusement.
It began to rain on us, and I started thinking of this
man Jon Dunn, the Dutch trader.
When we finally reached
the coasts of South Afrikan , it became
apparent a war was brewing between ethnic groups. It was obvious that the crew
of our caravel was prepared for this, as they didn’t even flinch when arrows
came our way amidst the shouting and screaming.
On the shoreline, I saw angry villagers with spears
yelling curses in their native languages. One that surprised me was a young
girl, maybe half my age, yelling the loudest. I saw in her eyes a rage, an
unquestioned chaos, and it reminded me of my visions.
“Where could Dunn have gone in all this war?” Francis
said. Not even he seemed disturbed by the presence of the Afrikans yelling
curses at us. Though I saw they were dispersing as a group of warriors
approached, obviously thinking we were traders with coin.
“We can fight them off, stay for a few hours at the
harbor. Though I fear the Netuk will attack us if we stay long?”
“Who?”
The captain turned to Rochelle the druid.
“A race that think the earth be round, that Christ was an
Afrikan, and that magic is the true spirit of mankind.”
“What are you talking about?” Said Francis. “They simply
be a warring tribe; how is it you know so much, Rochelle?”
“I think you know the answer, Francis. For the same
reason you joined: I have knowledge of many outside the lands outside Europa.”
“The Earth be round. They must drink much.”
Rochelle ignored the sailor. “The captain is right, we
must find him quickly.”
“This isn’t good,” I said. “The chances of a white man
surviving in a war such as this is small.”
“Me lord, Dunn be a wily, dangerous man. It would take
much more than a war to take him out.”
“Let this wasteland be,” said the captain, “I sense powers
at work here.”
“We find him,” said Francis. He seemed adamant about it,
which made me wonder If I could trust this Dunn man. “He speaks the language of
the Yin. And without that we might as well walk through the entire empire
looking for him.”
“Francis is right,” I said. I looked at the captain and
the nervous sailors. The captain was grimacing, the sailors holding there heads
low. “I will double your rate if you stay off shore for one day.” I had no coin
to back this up, but I was sure my father would be willing to pay his saviors
well … if we could ever find him.
They didn’t say anything, so I took it as a yes.
We left the ship. No Afrikans met us at first, which
surprised me because of their attacks on the ship. Perhaps the group had only
been an angry mob sick of the white man taking their wealth away.
I
watched the ship careen back into the silent, moving sea.
Finally
a group of soldiers approached us. One held up his hand.. Rochelle went forward
and spoke in a language with distinct consonants that seemed created more to
confuse.
Trust me, he said in my mind.
I
watched as one of the Afrikans – apparently the leader – nodded and took a few
coins from Rochelle. As the druid walked back, I saw a flame in the hand of the
leader which Rochelle had not created..
“Rochelle,
you said there was no magic here.”
“It is all illusion.”
“Then why are they afraid?”
He pointed to a burning building. It was the only vestage
of Europan civilization. I could tell by the craftsmanship it was Roman. Had
they been here ages ago?
“This is recent. I fear the men who were
following you are ahead of us. These men told me in so many words that a group
came many days before. Perhaps they seek your father, for reasons I am
unaware.”
I had forgotten of the burning fires outside of the druid
fort. Why would anyone follow me all the way out here? They would have to know
of our plans. I looked to Francis but our eyes didn’t meet.
“The Netuk didn’t do this.”
“This isn’t war. Whoever came ahead of us sought to kill
Dunn before he could help us.”
“Bloody traitors, one of the sailors must have sold us
out.” I didn’t want to believe Francis, didn’t want to trust him. Yet I doubted
even he would have made a move so fast.
From what I had heard, South
Afrikana was rich in diamonds, making it a country to be sought.
Had we just moved in on a trade war? If the Dutchman were anywhere, it was
apparent he would be close to the harbor.
The huts all seemed built using Egyptians style. I had
studied ancient cultures before – the
Babylonians, Nubians, Egyptians – and it was obvious this empire should have
been rich. Either the diamonds were all going to lords, who used it for war, or
something else was amiss. I wouldn’t have time to find out.
I heard a noise behind us as we crossed a street. The
journey had been slow; Rochelle did all the talking, which made me wonder how a
druid could know Afrikan languages. I was no historian – though I intended to
try to be at some point– but there must have been dozens of native languages.
And not one time had a person Rochelle was speaking to been confused by his
words.
The
noise made us look back, back to the streets and the city square and the small
huts around it. “You seek Dunn.” It was a man covered in fur, which made me
uncomfortable just thinking about. It was’t warm, the sun wasn’t out, but the
humidity stuck to one’s skin.
“I
be shaman.” Another master of languages: His tongue showed an Italian touch,
perhaps with Latin influences. The questions lingered in my mind, but I was
preparing for an attack. A small group of Afrikans was surrounding us, each in
the same toned furs that the shaman had.
“Where
is Rochelle?”
“That
be me.” I turned and saw a man with one piercing eyeand a rather large axe.
“Your friends tried to kill me. For some reason these Netuk soldiers saved my
life.” I didn’t want to look at him too much, as his eye made me fearful. He
held a red stained ivory dagger in his other hand, and he had a large gash on
his face that needed to be cleaned.
“I
be William Chapel the Second. My father –“
“Save
the stories. I know what you seek. You smell of adventure.”
Catching up with a
Dutchman is different than with a Norman .
You can bring up art and trade, where a Norman
would be more interested in war, steel, forts, and maybe even history. I had
never planned on leading my father’s empire, but being a trader looked like it
would be an interesting enterprise.
I call him the one eyed merchant now, but there is much
more to him.
“You will change what you would like to do weekly,” my
mother had told me once, “but you will always be seeking your own calling as I
and your father did.”
I was going to tell you about Jonathan Dunn, a Dutchman
who looked weathered from his travels, yet full of life. Still, he seemed to be
happy, and as we marched back to the ship I expected him to say more than he
did.
“I came here looking for peace. Not for the diamonds, or
the history of the place … but for peace. I never found it. Being a white man
in a land of a different color led me to believe I would have to go to the
desert to find this peace.”
I asked him if he would help us, and he gave no answer. I
watched this Dunn’s eye with curiousity, but I saw little there to mention. He
seemed to want to be left alone. I pushed the issue – that is what Norman ’s do – and asked
again.
“Yes, I will help you find your father. But you must tell
me the truth.”
I looked to the others, to Rochelle and Francis, but they
seemed absent, focusing on watching for our trailers. “I do not understand.”
“What is it you truly seek?”
“I wish to live my own life, not one created for me.”
He put his arm on my shoulder. “Let me tell you about
your true father. Not the one who married your righteous mother, or who took
over a hamlet in Picardy , not even the one who
fought off the Vikings from the coasts of Brittania…”
He went on to tell me many things, some I had heard,
others that slipped off his tongue as though they were a legend. I understood
my father was a great man, that it would be futile to escape my destiny as a Norman . Yet it seemed
that this man understood my father more than anyone else ever had.
As we approached the coast, I felt the wind break, saw
the skies open up, and could see our ship was gone. How had this happened? Why
would they leave an heir to Norman lands in Afrikana? Something was amiss.
“They didn’t leave,” said Rochelle. “But I know we must
leave soon. The Netuk will come for our hearts.”
Again I heard a noise behind us, a crack of something,
perhaps a stick. A true warrior wouldn’t have given away his position so
easily. Francis drew his bow and aimed, but I laid my hand on his shoulder,
told him with my eyes what I meant. He stepped back.
I questioned what I was thinking at that moment. A true
warrior might give away his position on purpose, but before this thought had
come, I had stepped forward. The angles were all wrong for an arrow to hit me,
perhaps they intended to split us in two.
Suddenly, I was split off from the group. I looked
around, and saw I was surrounded by knyghts covered in white.
Comments
Post a Comment