Skip to main content

Archangels of the Sword, Chapter 2, 100 for a read


Archangels of the Sword
White shirt, Dress, 100
by Jacob Malewitz
Skyriven Empire, 2,000 


            We closed. The wooden fort came into view, the burning fires and the colored flames all encapsulating around it, shining off the wood like a reflection in the water. And I couldn’t get the image of the Green Knyght out of my mind. The wooden table was there, as was the archangel. A dark presence overwhelmed me, made me feel sick to my stomach. I tried to hold it off but the sickening feeling overwhelmed me. Francis grabbed me before I fell.
“Lord –“ an arrow hit the path before us.
I heard the voice yell “Walk no further.” It surprised me that Francis, the brave, stubborn Welshman, had a smile on his face as he stepped in front of me. Always the protector this soldier. And I had doubted his loyalties.
            “We seek Rochelle,” Francis yelled.
            “We know of no Rochelle.”
            “You lie.”
            I heard voices yelling. My senses told me we had escaped the normal world, this place wasn’t cursed, but it certainly wasn’t blessed. The language was nothing from Europa. It seemed more like decadent Babylonian words. Guyus had made me study documents on Hammurabi and on the Babylonian empire; many called the things they did demonic, but I found them more bookish than something that was a definite evil.
The gate to the fort opened with a creaking sound, as though it was never opened and the druids just flew over the walls whenever it suited them. I turned back and looked at the darkening lands that we had passed through. Had they not known we were there all along? In all my studies, not once had Guyus told me of magic. It was as though it were some archaic, dangerous object not to be touched.
I grabbed Francis’ arm. “I don’t like this. Something is wrong.”
“Nothing is ever right with Druids, they grow mad with power. But without Rochelle we are flying blind into a land of chaos.”
We walked forward, past a group of cloaked druid men, and one that looked suspiciously like a woman. Which was Rochelle? I doubted even the eyes of a deft bowman could tell one from another. The woman was the only one who, with her body and coy grin, stood out at all.
“I be Francis, servant of William Chapel the First. We seek Rochelle for a journey. Where shall I go to find him?”
“You have found him.” A man in red came forward. One hand was shaking while the other was positioned on a cane which dug into the ground. I could see his eyes, yet even with the torch showing his visage I couldn’t make out much. It was as though he was shielding his true face. “What sort of journey?”
“To the east. The Yin empire, Rochelle.”
He walked to me. Looked into my eyes. I felt the magic within him, and I wondered how I could sense this.
            He turned away from me to Francis. “It has been a long time.”
            Francis didn’t respond. And the druid looked back to me.
            “Do you know of the archangels of the sword?”
            “What?”
            “It is a simple question. Orders of chaos magic we venture to. You must have the visions. I was here when Arthur was strong.”
            “That’s not possible. You would have to be hundreds of years –“
            “It be true. Immortality is more a curse than a blessing. What do you know of the Green Knyght?”
            My heart skipped a beat. How could he know? There was no way unless the Knyght practiced some kind of magic that he sensed. I thought it was only a dream. But it still didn’t answer where my father was and how we can help him. Francis looked to me. He was obviously curious about what the druid was talking of.
            “I know nothing of him, except of the legends and stories.”
            “Now you lie. Never lie to a man you seek for help.”
            “Francis we don’t need this man.”
            “Yes, we do.”
            “Who are these archangels?” My mind went to the painting, the one behind the
Green Knyght in my vision. It had to be an archangel, a fighter for … for someone. Where was God in a land of magic?
            “There are three. There must be four. They are the knyghts of a demon from the underworld.”
            “The devil?”
            “We have other names for the beast.”
            “Where is my father in all of this?”
            “Closer than you might think.”
                                                                        #
It be as though he already knew of the green knyght. I thought that perhaps he could provide me answers; but I was afraid. I had told no one of my visions – ever toeing the line between the reality of the situation and the fact that I would have to face something I didn’t want to.
            The table was an opaque homage to a man destined to work with wood. I recognized the handiwork, but couldn’t place which wood worker had created the table. Had it not been made by natural means?
            Francis and I were sitting in a cold room with Rochelle, but words seemed to have failed us. I would have thought Francis were friends with this druid, but they seemed to eye each other with suspicion.
            “Tell me of magic,” I asked the druid, Rochelle.
            “There is no magic in the lands of Europa.”
            “Then how do you pull the stones from the ground and arrange them to the stars? How do you survive? I see no farms, no fighters, this is a time of great upheaval yet you seem to do nothing but stay in your castle.”
            “Europa isn’t ready for the kind of magic you speak of.”
            “What other kinds be there?”
            “Stone magic.”
            He leaned forward and his eyes were drilling through my defenses, as though he already knew everything that was going to come out of my mouth.
            Do you truly trust this Francis? Do you really want to see what your father hath  become?
            He was in my mind. An empty silence filled the room. It didn’t feel like magic; more something akin to something the celts had toyed with … called Gal. I had heard of it; the Romans called it something different: witchcraft.
            Why should I not trust Francis? I said it in my mind, as though it be a natural thing for me to speak to my someone in my own mind.
            He be a great warrior. I wouldn’t trust your father’s lands to him; they might not be here when you return. The only reason your father told you this, was that he knew this Welshman desired power more than anything else. Keep your enemies close …
            I didn’t look at Francis; didn’t dare. I remembered my father joking with him on many occasions on how skinny Welshman always were: he never saw one with a gut. He mentioned nothing of his true desires. I would have given the land to Francis right there, but my father had built it, and maybe this Welshman would do things with the lands that was evil.
            “What is Stone Magic?” I said, breaking the silence.
            “It be the only magic the druids practice.”
            I’m lieing.
            I know you are.
            “I have a question,” Francis said. “Why do you bring up the old ballad of the Green Knyght? Why do you ask Francis of it?”
            “Druids play with absolutes instead of with God.”
            “What does that mean.”
            “You will understand. And that is unfortunate.”

We stayed the night at the fort. The small rooms cut into the halls stayed cool. The druids treated us like royalty, but I knew they were hiding something underneath the smiles and the mead. I looked out and saw things in the woods, craven eyes, lights from fires, all things that told me we were being followed. Why would we be followed? And why would they make themselves so visible?
            I went to Francis’ room as I had trouble sleeping, and found him eyeing scripture so I didn’t disturb him.
            A man of God would betray me? Was it an act? Had he heard me walking to his room?
            I didn’t sleep much that night. I eyed much of what was around me, biding my time. The questions were overwhelming really, but I tried not to think on them. Druids play with absolutes instead of God… just one of the many riddles I had heard in my life. Even the Green Knyght seemed logical in comparison to the Druid: He answered questions with questions.
            By morn we were gone. The druid had a young mare that looked as though it was intended to move a massive stone. The questions all lingered, giving me the most painful headache I had had since first drinking half a barrel of ale on my 16th birthday.
            The druid, Rochelle, wore a cloth that appeared to be made of silk, as it was a fine tailored piece. Silk was expensive, but, being a druid, and having an understanding of magic, would likely make him a master at alchemy. He held no weapons; at least none I could see. Druids were feared across Europa, but Stone Magic wasn’t. I would find out the truth behind it before this journey was over. Though, I wasn’t planning on stealing anything from a single druid, lest my luck run out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Archangels of the Sword, New Merchants of Dark Empire, 2trill hong kong 2 and 50 readers

Archangels of the Sword, Sample 4, Arcadian Knyghts, Legend of Avalon City by JFM Chapter 3: The one-eyed merchant I feel the tremors. Hear the screaming. Scattered through it all I see legions of an army of knyghts in red, green, black, and blue. These knyghts look bigger than normal. They are beasts of men, with cold eyes and tightened fists, and as I stare I hear a voice saying numbers out loud. Africa had been called a wasteland by many before me. My teacher, Guyus, had different views. I could remember the words so well … “It be a rich land of a rich people. Some will go against this, and you shouldn’t tell, but I believe that is where all tribes originally came from.” “What of the belief of Christ?” I tried to show knowledge of scripture, which usually enticed Guyus to tell stories of things in the bible that, though false, had true connotations. “Christ was not a white man, no matter what they tell you. They sought out the homeland of Christianity in the crus...

Archangels of the Sword, Red Archangel, Two Empires of Archangel, 100,000 Age of Empires Win 2 Egypt

 Archangels of the Sword, Volume 6,  by Jacob Malewitz Age of Empires Win 2 Franks, 5trill Chapter 2: Bringing Thunder … I look up at the fiery eyes of the green knyght in the painting. Something changes: the clouds move, the walls of order are broken. I feel I am falling yet I cannot understand why. It’s as though I am being punished for something outside of my scope. I had thought that Francis was a devoutly Christian man: I had always seen him reading scripted bibles after all. But when he said we needed a Druid for this journey I was more than a little surprised. Bringing a priest on a journey is one thing, bringing a druid into any affair is in my experience quite another. “Trust me, lord, he will be the key to finding your father.” I didn’t want to know much more, but, of course, I had to hear the whole story.             Francis had met the druid after his travels in Babylon with my father. They...

Archangels of the Sword, Red Knyght Rising, Volume 2, by Jacob Malewitz, Hong Kong 2, 250trill a page

Let me tell you what chaos is. Chaos is the absence of God. We all hear stories of magic and chaos, demons from the other side playing with men like toys. It has happened throughout history. I thought hard on chaos being the absence of God, a line my father instilled in me many times in the past. As I thought of this, I approached Francis’ room in our castle. Being a Welsh bowman in the Norman empire be a rich trade, as archers talented with the long bow are in high demand. They can shatter legions of charging knyghts with the flick of their wrists. The long bow is the strongest weapon here in Europa. Saying that, I had heard stories of different kinds of weapons in the Yin empire. But let me tell you about this bowman, and I will relate my thoughts on sorcery at a later point. Francis was a man of Christian blood who would have followed my father into the gates of hell. He would face just about anything save the pope if my father desired it. Ever since my mother’s death, he h...